The Pier Geelong’s History
The pier itself was first built in the 1850’s originally known as ‘Railway Pier’ it was used for loading and unloading cargo. The pier was re-built in the late 1920s and renamed Cunningham Pier in 1929. The facility was unused for a period of time until the 1980s where it became a party pier playing host to Geelong’s New Year on the Pier and more so from the mid 90’s when it was widely visited as a Smorgy’s restaurant, until it’s current transformation as The Pier Geelong, along with Wah Bah and Wah Wah Gee in 2010.
Situated 250 metres out over Corio Bay is the beautiful two-storey weatherboard building with over 3000sq.m of floor space, the tired weatherboard beauty was reborn in 2010 and was renamed The Pier Geelong. The Directors had noticed a hole in the Geelong function and event space, catering for guests in excess of 300 attendees. Our vision was to develop an entertainment precinct with the goal to make it a key destination in Geelong that attracts both the local market, visitors from Melbourne, regional Victoria and international guests.
Our purpose: To offer the customer authentic hospitality with the best possible service, selection, quality and value. And to inspire and nurture our people by creating a culture of belonging, where everyone is welcome.